Inferiority complex

I define inferiority complex as the feel of not being ‘up to the mark’. It is nature to compare ourselves with someone else. In any comparison, one is always inferior to the other. I know that I'm inferior to Bill gates, financially; but this will not bother me since he doesn't influence me in any way.  It becomes complex when I feel inferior to someone and begin to doubt my self-worth. People who have inferiority complex lacks confidence, peace, self-esteem, or have depression. It is necessary to overcome inferiority complex for having a healthy and effective life. Analysing ourself and gaining knowledge about what we feel inferior, will help us to come out of hesitation. If we don't try to come out of inferiority complex, we may lack the confidence and the courage to achieve success.

Inferiority and inferiority complex

Everyone has the feel of inferiority, in fact it motivates us to move forward in life. When I know that I'm inferior to my colleague, financially, it will help me to put myself into work and help me to earn more. If I have an inferiority complex over him, I get to think why I couldn't be as good as him. Inferiority complex isn't healthy since it develops a feel of jealousy and makes the concern to doubt self-worth. In reality, He must be way better than what he feel about him.
Inferiority complex may occur in childhood and last even in adulthood. As a child, facing people stronger physically and mentally, might lead to a feeling of inferiority. When a parent has a child and a new born, the child gets inferiority complex seeing the newborn treated better than him. It controls the behaviour of child even after he becomes an adult. It may also happen when one gets criticised for what he is and he could do nothing about it.

Why should I overcome inferiority complex ?

“Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.” –Eleanor Roosevelt 

James Allen says in “As a man thinketh”, you become what you think. Knowing that you are inferior is nature; but feeling inferior is your choice. Inferiority complex brings in lack of confidence which makes us to never try anything new. It is one worst feel that makes us feel bad about ourselves. We seek to stay in safe zone where nobody criticise us. It changes our behaviour and kills our creativity, resulting in depression. We dream of what we want to become, but fail since we doubt our self-worth; it hence adds one more point to feel inferior. Now let's see how to overcome this complex.

How can I overcome inferiority complex?

“Practice as if you are the worst, perform as if you are the best.”

Be specific. Analyse what makes you feel inferior. For example, I may feel inferior financially, emotionally, or intellectually; I have to analyse it specifically. Seek to develop your knowledge in it. I suggest you to read books since it can expose you to this world and make you broad-minded.

Be aware of criticism; You cannot change your looks, race, ethnic background or any such aspect of life. Cut off the people that criticise you in these aspects.

Get positive surrounding; Make a healthy group around you. Spend time with people that motivates and encourages you. Positive environment can help you overcome inferiority complex.

Ignore negative thoughts and love yourself the way you are. Accept the fact that every human is unique and you are one of them. Don't crave to have everything that people around you have. You are unique, so be different. Feel proud of you.

Do constant learning. Learning gives you confidence and knowledge about everything that happens around you. Every one should learn throughout their life. One easy way to learn is reading books. Trust me, learning can make you feel better about yourself.

Conclusion
Inferiority complex is very common to us. We have to overcome negative feelings to achieve in life. Four basic key points to overcome inferiority complex were discussed above. If you follow it, you can easily come out of box and have a peaceful life. Hope this article helps you in a positive way.

Comments

Post a Comment